Kidney stones, or renal calculi, are solid masses that are made of crystals. Kidney stones usually originate in your kidneys. However, they can develop anywhere along your urinary tract, which consists of the following parts:
Kidney stones are one of the most painful medical conditions that occur in the people of age group 20-50. The causes of kidney stones mostly vary according to the type of stone. Not all kidney stones are made up of the same crystals,they mostly differ.
Different types of kidney stones
Calcium stones are the most common types of stones found in human body who is suffering from kidney stone. They are mostly made of calcium oxalate crystals . Eating fewer oxalate-rich foods can reduce your risk of developing this type of stone significantly. High-oxalate foods which should be included are:
- potato chips
Even though some kidney stones are made of calcium, getting enough calcium in your diet can prevent the formation of stones.
This type of kidney stone is more common in men rather than in women. They can occur in people with gout or those who are going through chemotherapy. This type of stone develops when urine is too acidic in nature. A diet rich in purines can increase urine’s acidic level. Purine is a colorless substance which is commonly found in animal proteins, such as fish, shellfish, and meats.
This type of stone is found mostly in women who is suffering with urinary tract infections (UTIs). These stones can be larger in size and can also cause urinary obstruction. They result from a kidney infection.
Cystine stones are rare which occur in both men and women who have the genetic disorder cystinuria. With this type of stone, cystine — an acid which forms naturally in the body — starts leaking from the kidneys into the urine.
The greatest risk factor for kidney stones is the formation of less than 1 liter of urine per day.
Different factors can contribute to increase your risk of developing a stone. In the United States, white people are more likely to have kidney stones than black people.
Sex also plays a role. More men are likely to develop kidney stones than women.
Heredity risk of kidney stone can develop your chance of getting kidney stone.
Other risk factors include:
- a diet which consist of high levels of protein, salt, or glucose
- hyperparathyroid condition
- gastric bypass surgery
- inflammatory bowel diseases that increase calcium absorption
Other symptoms of kidney stones can include:
- blood present in the urine (red, pink, or brown urine)
- discolored or foul-smelling urine
- frequent need to urinate
- urinating small amounts of urine.
- Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy: It is a noninvasive procedure that uses high-intensity acoustic pulses to break up kidney stones into small particles, making them easier to pass.
- Ureteroscopy: Your urologist will insert a small instrument into your urethra to find and remove the stone.
- Pain medication: Over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers can help ease kidney stone pain.
Dr. Omprakash Mundada is one of the best urologists in Aurangabad. Mundada Urology Hospital dedicated to curing urological ailments and helping people to keep their health in good form. Today, Mundada Urology Hospital maintains its position among the finest hospitals that is exclusively providing uro care of the highest standards.